Employment Opportunity – 3rd Mate
Nunatsiavut Marine Inc. operates the passenger vessel MV Northern Ranger, and has a seasonal opening for the position 3rd Mate. The company offers a competitive salary, a crew relief system, paid travel to and from home, and the excitement of working in a fast paced customer service environment. Join our team, and come experience the adventure and beauty of the rugged Coast of Labrador.
Reporting to the Chief Officer, the 3rd Mate is responsible for maintaining the bridge navigational and communications equipment as well as assisting with the vessel’s piloting, navigation, safety and small boat operations. This position is based on a 6 week on 3 week off rotation flying in/out of Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
- Performs bridge navigation and deck watch during specified periods.
- Determines geographical position of the ship using all available means such as GPS, radar ranges, visual observations, and depth sounders.
- Makes necessary entries in navigation and radio logs.
- Navigates vessel to ensure avoidance of marine hazards such as reefs, outlying shoals, shallow waters, etc.
- Uses aids for navigation such as lights, lighthouses, and buoys.
- Participates in onboard safety training, meetings and drills, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard etc.
- Maintains familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Assist the Chief Mate in communicating and enforcing all company policies and procedures.
- Watchkeeping Mate, Near Coastal
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical.
- MED Certificate, valid for position
- Valid Marine Advanced First Aid/First Aid
- Passenger Safety Management Course would be an asset, but training can be arranged.
- Familiar with use of Microsoft Office Suite
Upload your resume
Nunatsiavut Marine Inc. is an equal opportunity employer however, preference will be given to beneficiaries of the Labrador Inuit Land Claim Agreement. Applicants are asked to clearly state their beneficiary status on their cover letter or resume when applying.
Use the form below or mail to:
PO Box 1000, Station “B”,
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL A0P 1E0
The Company thanks you for your interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Join our team
Nunatsiavut Construction Inc. is seeking a Construction Estimator to work in communities in Labrador.